How to Create Healthy Habits
With the new year finally upon us, making resolutions to help improve your life is the norm. Indeed, although some seem to believe that making New Year’s resolutions is a waste of time, there are countless others who manage to change their lives by simply making and sticking to a resolution! Of course, it’s not just making the resolution that helps people change – rather, it seems to be creating new habits that ultimately drives these success stories. That said, let’s take a look at how to create healthy habits.
Although there are a number of ways to change and develop your habits, many experts assert that it takes at least 3 weeks (21 days) of work before the habit becomes second nature. Check out the following steps recommended to help you create new healthy habits:
- Decide – The first step is to define the new desired habit, become 100% decided to adopt the new habit, and then remain dedicated to making it an actual habit.
- No Exceptions – While there are exceptions to every rule, you cannot allow this to factor into your habit-forming. Make your decision and do not allow others to tempt you off your path.
- Make a Declaration – Now that you have made your decision, you need to let everyone know about your new habit. This may seem pretentious, but the reasoning behind it is so that your family and friends can help hold you accountable to your goals.
- Visualize – Whenever you’e not engaging in the habit, you must envision yourself doing so as much as possible. For instance, if your new habit is to avoid mindless snacking, envision yourself not snacking each and every time you think about getting up to find an unhealthy snack in the pantry or vending machine.
- Affirmations – Using affirmations works because they utilize your subconscious mind and the power of suggestion. To go back to the snacking example, you may wake up everyday and affirm, “I am always moving toward my body health goals because I am not mindlessly snacking.” This will help you stay on the right path.
- Stay Motivated – Always keep your original motivation in mind. For instance, you may keep charts of healthy snack choices on the fridge or your desk to keep you on track to forming healthy snacking habits.
- Treat Yourself – Lastly, be sure to reward yourself. For instance, after you have successfully completed a week without indulging in mindless snacking, you may treat yourself with an extra half hour of TV time; after a month, you may buy yourself a small gift like a book you’ve been dying to read. The point is to make sure you are positively reinforcing the habit with the use of motivational treats. Just be sure those treats don’t undermine the habit you’re trying to form!
Bee Health Clinics
Here at Bee Health Clinics, we’re waiting to help our clients get on track with their health goals, and we can’t wait to support you in the development of healthy new habits in 2019! Reach out to us today.