Most of us are aware that too many calories from any source will be stored as fat if not burned. What we may not know, however, is the toxic affect that simple carbohydrates (sugar) have on the body.
The lack of nutrients in sugar makes it easier to over consume. Consuming equal calories from sugar as foods rich in fiber, fat and protein does not provide the same full feeling. This is why you can snack on candy and shortly after be hungry for a full meal. Consuming sugar only causes your body to crave more sugar. It’s addictive!
It’s important to note that not all sugars are equal. Naturally occurring sugars, such as those found in milk and fruit, do not have the same negative effects on the body, as they are also rich in vitamins and fiber.
Take an inventory of the sugar you consume, and create a plan of action. You decrease your overall sugar consumption without feeling deprivation. Here are five simple and practical tips to help you lose weight and increase your energy level by simply “getting off the sugar”.
- Quit drinking sugary drinks! The empty calories in drinks, such as soda, sports drinks or sweet tea, can add up to weight gain. A can of soda contains about 38 grams of sugar and 150 calories. If you are accustomed to drinking two cans per day, eliminating soda and switching to water could cause you to lose about 2 pounds per month without changing your diet otherwise
- Eat regularly. Waiting too long between meals may set you up to choose sugary, fatty foods that cut your hunger.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates. Foods as white bread and white pasta cause dramatic spikes and drops in blood sugar levels and lead to hunger and sugar cravings. Replace refined carbohydrates with complex carbohydrates, like whole-wheat pasta, brown rice and whole-grain bread.
- Replace refined sugar with natural sugars. When a craving hits, opt for a piece of fruit. The natural sweetness will satisfy your sugar craving, while the fiber will help stabilize your blood sugar, decreasing your sugar cravings.
- Read labels. Make sure you KNOW what you are eating. Always look at the labels. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup and other added sugars. Foods marketed as “healthy” can often be misleading. At Bee Healthy Medical Weight Loss and Wellness we offer a complete line of healthy protein-rich snacks.
How can Bee Healthy help you cut the sugar habit? We offer physician-supervised medical weight loss programs utilizing appetite suppressants, supplements, and nutrition counseling. Appetite suppressants help you to take control of your eating habits, training yourself to choose the right foods to fuel your body, without feeling hungry and deprived. Our injections and supplements provide you with increased energy and boost your metabolism.
Our staff is dedicated to helping you change your habits and CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Call one of our clinics to set up your appointment TODAY! You will be glad you did.